Tonight: Franz Ferdinand

I like to write reviews and pretending that I actually know what I’m talking about when I review an album. If you would like to read more of my reviews (there really aren’t that many) head on over to my review blog. And now, Franz Ferdinand’s third album.

Tonight: Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand
Five years ago I got heavily into five bands: Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, Keane, the Kaiser Chiefs, and Maximo Park. In those five years I’ve become less attached to Maximo Park and the Killers (due to second albums that I didn’t like so much) and more attached to Keane, the Kaiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand. What got me to listen to each of these bands, and what generally kept me listening, was musical originality. With Tonight: Franz Ferdinand the seemingly endless fount of creativity that Franz Ferdinand exhibited has started to wane. While Tonight is musically (and acoustically) intriguing (and quite slick production-wise) most of the songs are a rehash from the band’s previous two albums. By focusing on the night and all that implies, Franz Ferdinand also loses a great deal of the lyrical complexity that they had on their second album, which is a shame given the potential that album had. The first 2/3rds of Tonight are interesting enough to keep a listener’s attention, though some of the songs sound incredibly similar, particularly “Twilight Omens” and “Can’t Stop Feeling”, enough so that one might actually get confused. However after a revamped version of “Lucid Dreams” (7 minutes of the band showing off their ability to use technology to make interesting noises) the album takes a nose dive into the unlistenable. “Katherine Kiss Me” is a strange rehash of “No You Girls”, using a majority of the same lyrics, but with an acoustic guitar and slightly altered melody line, while “Dream Again” is a anemic after thought to “Lucid Dreams”. While the recording technique may have been original and the majority of the songs are a shitload of fun, Franz Ferdinand it would seem are starting to lose their edge. Grade: B (keeping in mind that compared to most of the stuff that is released nowadays [don’t I sound old] is crap compared to this album) Recommended Songs: “Ulysses,” “No You Girls,” “Twilight Omens,” and “Bite Hard”

The next big review will be Lily Allen’s second album which is released Feb. 10th, so be expecting something around then.